Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Everyone Has a Moment. What's Yours?

This morning, as I was searching for something new to inspire the memoirists in our groups, I found my way to "Smith," the online magazine launched by Larry Smith, who pioneered the six-word memoir. For anyone interested in memoir-writing, Smith is a gold mine.

Question: "Can a single decision, happenstance, accident, call, conversation, or even email change the rest of your life?"


The magazine posed that question for a story project called The Moment and invited readers' submissions. The resulting book will come out in January 2012. A sample: 


Moments Are Like This…

  • Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, overhead her parents talking one evening, and her four-year-old world was profoundly rocked. She writes: “Hearing my mother’s voice calling to my father like that filled me with the most eerie and unsettling realization—namely, that these two people, my parents, existed separately from me.” Read her Moment.
  • Jeremy Toback was at an anti-war rally in DC when he realized that he could not stop the war in Iraq, but he might be able to stop his marriage from falling apart: Read his Moment.
  • Cheryl Della Pietra picked up the phone at 3am to find it was Hunter S. Thompson calling. She had one moment to accept the offer to become his assistant, provided she could leave the next morning. Read her Moment.
  • AJ Jacobs watched as his third-grade science teacher chucked a piece of chalk at his friend Max. As a stunned classroom looked on, the teacher said, “I shouldn’t have done that.” That was the moment AJ realized that adults are just as big fuck-ups as kids.
Continue reading at Smith.

No comments: