Thursday, March 11, 2010

One-Minute Movie: D'Ann's Studio

D'Ann Fago is both an artist and a writer. She lives and works in an old farmhouse that overlooks a view of the Vermont hills framed by stands of white birch trees; faded Tibetan prayer flags flutter in the breeze outside her studio window. I spent the afternoon there on Sunday. When I arrived, D'Ann was sitting in a lawn chair soaking up the rays of the pale March sun. She was dressed entirely in various shades of blue, down to her cobalt blue sunglasses. She looked bright and exotic, but I could see she was having one of her tired days. "You're all blue," I said. "Inside and out," she said, smiling one of her million-dollar smiles. She had just returned from a walk up the muddy dirt road behind her house with her two trekking poles. We spent a couple of peaceful hours in her studio, and I made a very amateur attempt to photograph her work so that others could see it. I've included a small sample in the one-minute video below. D'Ann works in a wide variety of styles and mediums, and I especially love her dreamlike views of New York City, where she used to live. I'll upload some of them in our next little video. Maybe by then I can figure out how to show the vertical canvases more effectively!

No comments: